Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

oh my goodness... I've been craving Taco Soup... something I've missed... found a recipe for non meat version, and made my own tweaks of course! Everyone loved it! Even my daughter who doesn't usually like beans! Next time, I may add a few more veggies, like diced zucchini.

Taco Soup

1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can pinto, drained and rinsed
1 can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 can mayocoba beans (or any white bean), drained and rinsed
1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
2 small cans tomato sauce
2 no beef broth cubes (or vegetable)
4 cubs of water
Black pepper, to taste
2-3 tablespoons taco seasoning, to taste
Several drops Liquid Smoke
1 cup of frozen corn

I added this when it needed more flavor! I'll measure next time!
2 dashes of cumin, chili powder, ancho chili powder, and parsley. 

Use the water and no beef cubes to make broth.
Line a Dutch oven with a little no beef broth, add the onion and cook until the onion has caramelized slightly. Add the garlic and cook a couple of minutes more.

Add the beans, tomatoes, and tomato sauce plus 2 tomato sauce cans of water. Pour in the rest of the vegetable broth, then the seasonings and Liquid Smoke. Stir and taste for seasoning.

Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium, cover and cook 20 minutes, until done. Add corn a few minutes before done.

I had rice/quinoa cooked earlier, so I put a 1/2 a cup in my bowl and threw some kale on it, and heated in the microwave. 
Serve the soup over rice/quinoa mixture and kale. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment